CinefestOZ Film Festival is a finalist in the Qantas Australian Tourism Awards after receiving a Gold Medal at the 2019 Perth Airport WA Tourism Awards in the Festivals and Events category. This is the second year in a row the festival has taken home this award, recognising the best of Western Australia’s tourism industry.
Speaking at the event at Crown Perth at the weekend, CinefestOZ Chair Helen Shervington said the festival had become an important State cultural asset and a spectacular event in the State and Nation’s events calendar.
“This festival is beloved by the Australian film industry and audiences alike. Its unique, intimate style, focus on Australian film and location in the magnificent South West makes it a very attractive tourism and cultural offering.”
Helen paid tribute to the contributions of the South West communities, audiences, volunteer Board, CEO Malinda Nixon, team, Partners, Australian film industry and 350-strong band of volunteer ‘Movie Crew’ who have shaped the festival’s success.
In 2019, the five-day festival exceeded expectations by achieving:
- Record attendances of 30,140
- 204 films and screenings and events
- Delivery of the $100,000 CinefestOZ Film Prize for the sixth consecutive year (won this year by H is for Happiness)
- A nationally-recognised Industry program attracted more than 200 international, national and Western Australian screen practitioners
- Events in 35 locations in Busselton, Bunbury and Margaret River, plus community and schools activations
- Community-based activities include Cinesnaps (6,000 South West school students, supported by Rio Tinto) IndigifestOZ (1,500 people involved)
- New partnerships with the Western Australian Museum and Prospero Dome Cinema
The Qantas Australian Tourism Awards will be held in Canberra on 6 March 2020. CinefestOZ received a Silver Medal at these awards in 2018.
Save the Date – Festival dates 26-30 August 2020
CinefestOZ is supported by the Western Australian State Government through Tourism WA’s Regional Events Program. Rio Tinto is a proud Premium Partner. The festival acknowledges its strong partnership with Screenwest, Lotterywest, Screen Australia, City of Busselton and The West Australian.